Thursday, February 28, 2008

30 Ain't So Far Off Afterall!

I can still remember the last time I actually dyed my hair. It was about 4.5 years ago, I was living in Toronto and preparing to move back home to Sudbury. At the time I was sporting bright red hair with streaks and highlights and the whole bit – it was a post-breakup thing. I was wandering down Bloor street on an autumn afternoon, contemplating how I was going to survive moving back home with mom and dad... when I happened upon a drug store, and impulsively decided that it was time to dye my hair back to its original colour: Brown.

At the time I just figured I was going through a phase, life changes etc. I have not dyed my hair since. Hairdressers often comment that I should dye my hair – I suppose that dying your hair is pretty much customary now. My most common response was always, “I am not dying my hair again until I go grey” – and it just sort of ended up becoming my plan.


Now, I’m only 28 years old, and my gorgeous locks are still deep brown and curly. However, yesterday I received a little bit of a shock. When I was putting my hair into a ponytail I saw one, single, solitary, shiny, short, silver hair. PANIC!





Since I was a child, my mom would always tell me that I have had one, single grey hair since I was born. This one hair that has always been grey, and living somewhere on my head amongst a sea of curl.





Is it possible? Could the hair that I found be the one? Is it the same single grey I’ve had since I was just little?

Or... could this be a fresh one? Where there is one, is there also another? And another? OH GOD!

It was too much to handle. So I asked myself “What would Donna do?”

I decided that Donna would convince herself that it’s the same one I’ve had since I was a child. However, if that “same hair” pops up more than 5 times it’s time to call the salon and book a cut, colour and possibly some therapy.

2 comments:

Allison said...

You could always pluck it and pretend the whole thing never happened...

carrice said...

Would you dye your hair grey to match the one hair?