Thursday, May 22, 2008

Pricing the Purge Pile

NOTICE TO READER: i officially give up on blogger formatting. i also officially hate blogger.

My roommate A has been in awe of my purging abilities for a long time now. In the last 5 years I have purged my entire life twice - both times as a result of a move.

A is a self-confessed pack rat - a hoarder if you will. When she found out that she will be moving to California in the fall she decided that it was time to purge her life. Scorch the Earth and start over 3000 miles south-west.

I am a phenominal purger of random life-clutter. I inherited these gifts from my mother - Donna the "Yard Sale Queen". When A approached me for help in pricing some of her possessions on http://www.usedottawa.com/ I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to find out if I really am my mother.



The Current Purge Pile

The following is A's current list of purgable items. As the move gets closer and closer more items will be added to the list. A isn't really the best at understanding the fine art of buying and selling used goods. She has a hard time determining what a fair price for a used item is - often overpricing things. To help her out (and to test my true Donna-ness) I am going to price the items for her. Donna will review my prices and let me know if I have a chance at being the heir to the Yard Sale Queen throne!




  • The Computer Chair
  • Purchased at IKEA in 2002 for $39.99
  • The chair is still in usable condition, however computer chairs come down significantly in price over the last few years.
  • Brianne's Price: $5.00 OBO



  • The Rubbermaid Cooler
  • This gem was purchased at Walmart in 2005 for approximately $40.00. Used twice.
  • Brianne's Price: $8.00

  • The Filing Cabinet

  • This item was passed down from a friend for free who probably got it for free herself.
  • Brianne's Price: Free to a good home/Donate to thift store




  • The Side Raper Table

    The "Lack" side table from IKEA was purchased for $19.99 in 2003. There is some damage to the top of it.

    Brianne's Price: $5.00 OBO (or gifted to Brianne)






  • Tap shoes

  • Angelo Luzio tap shoes - apparently barely used and no stink. Paid $100.00 in late 1997-1998.

    Brianne's Price: $50.00-60.00




  • Wine Rack

  • Another IKEA purchase 16.99 in 2003. Good condition.

    Brianne's Price: $5.00 OBO

1 comment:

ButterPeanut said...

I think you're gonna have to go down in price on the tap shoes, but I agree with everything else. I think 5 of whatever currency your country uses is the international standard for used Ikea items.

happy yardsaling! I agree that it is a fine art.